The Museum & Gift Shop Hours
—Labor Day thru Columbus Day—
Sat: 10 to 4
Sunday: 1 to 4
Please check on Chebeague Island News (www.chebeague.org) for any schedule changes.
We have a wonderful assortment of gifts and souvenirs in the store,
so please allow time to shop after you tour our museum exhibit.
Our 2017 Season in Review :
CIHS House Tour, Tuesday, August 8
The 2017 Historic House Tour focused on “Island Homes: Off the Beaten Path.” Nine special homes were featured, along with a luncheon on a beautiful lawn.
2017 Lecture Series:
Cap Leonard established a new lecture series entitled “Ellsworth Miller Memorial Summer Lecture Series.” 2017 was our inaugural year. The lecturers all focused on aspects life on an island. Contributions for its continuance are gratefully appreciated.
June 17 “Imagining Maine: The Case of Ruth Moore and Island Life” with Professor Joe Conforti
July 12 Presentation and Tour of Cemetery with Ron Romano, author of Early Gravestones in Southern Maine: The Genius of Bartlett Adams
August 21 “The Man who Wrote Amazing Grace” with Jerry Wiles
September 18 “Chebeague’s Changing Landscape” with Donna Damon
Raffle Tickets for the Historical Quilt are on
sale now at the Museum. Drawing for the winner will occur on Columbus Day Weekend.
The patches in this quilt date from the 1880’s – 1920’s,
it has been restored, backed & tied. It is a rare example
of turn of the century fabrics used on the Island.
Raffle tickets are $2 or six for $10.
Chebeague’s Domestic Architecture, 1750-1890
The Museum’s 2016-2017 exhibit explores the residential
architecture of the island during the first
century and a half of its permanent settlement.
founded in 1984, has grown from a small community based group of
about two dozen members to an organization of more than five hundred
members committed to educate the general public about island life.
The mission of theChebeague Island Historical Society is to enrich the lives
of Chebeague residents andvisitors by the acquisition and preservation
of antiquities and documents and by researching and recording the story
of the island’s past and present.
Museum of Chebeague History at the former District 9 Schoolhouse.
The building, built in 1871, was acquired from the Town of Cumberland
for $1.00 after being used as a municipal garage for nearly fifty years.
Thanks to a successful $500,000 capital campaign to renovate
the building and grounds, the Historical Society now has a permanent
home for its numerous collections and photographs, as well as the
ability to display a yearly exhibit.